Facets of Perception

What is the truth? Truth is a matter of perception. People believe in what they grew up knowing as the truth.

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

HOT!

I didn't post for a over a week. No excuses, but I'll tell you that I wasn't idle during those days.

60% of those times were work-related (project nearing completion crunch time, so overtime is mandatory to get the job done), and the other 40%, you can see for yourself here-- and hey, it's not even complete yet. :)

Anyway, my airconditioner broke down last Sunday night. It's blowing out air, but when I turn the dial to "Cool", it makes a noisy choking sound which intermittently goes away and comes back, but the temperature doesn't change. In other words, it's currently working as a very expensive electric fan.

It chose a really lousy time to break down. Why couldn't it have broken down last February when the temperature was below 20 degrees? The summer evenings are averaging between 30 to 35 degrees, without counting humidity. It's sweltering nowadays, and I sweat easily too.

I have 2 electric fans in my room, a wall-mounted type and a 12" floor fan which I use to keep mosquitoes away from my legs when I'm working at the computer table. The wall fan doesn't blow strong enough even if I aim the fan on the bed and put the speed setting on high. The 12" floor fan sits on a stool I keep in the room, and it's not enough either.

Don't get me wrong... I wouldn't want you to read this thinking I am living the luxury life with the aircon and all. :D But come on people, you gotta admit that it's HOT. Yes, I turn on my aircon every night, but I don't leave it on for too long. We bought a timer thingy wherein I can set the aircon on for 1 to 2 hours-- just to cool the room to a comfortable sleeping temp, and then it will shut off the aircon and automatically turn on the electric fan, which is good enough for me as long as I don't sweat while sleeping.

Going back, I dislike leaving my window open at night, so you can imagine the air circulation in my room: hot air moving around in circles. I'm a bit of an agoraphobe (as opposed to being claustrophobic) coupled with slight nocturophobia, so I absolutely REFUSE to open the windows. It also doesn't help that I like to watch monster/horror/thriller movies and that my wild imagination makes me think that something will be coming in through my window if I leave it open. My windows have bars and a screen door, but still... yeah yeah, the HEAT! I KNOW! But I'd rather suffer the heat than like awake at night wondering if I'll see something looking in on me when I open my eyes in the middle of the night.

I blame it on the JeepersCreepers2 movie.

And you know how service centers are in the Philippines. National said they could come look at it on Thursday (tomorrow). While I have my doubts about my old aircon unit still being servicable (I think it's over 10 years old), I'll wait till tomorrow's verdict before looking at shops for a new one. I've already got the dimensions written in a piece of paper in my bag, hehe.

For the sake of saving money though, I hope the aircon is still serviceable with a reasonable price tag.

...

As an afterthough, getting a new aircon means I'll be able to save electricity when I use it, since the newer models consume less power than the old ones. ;P



















Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home